Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Wakeonlan in bacula

2014-09-15 10:54:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Wakeonlan in bacula
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:51:53 -0400
On 09/15/14 10:27, Luc Van der Veken wrote:
> From: Bill Arlofski [mailto:waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com]
>> 1. From a shell prompt:   bacula-dir -t -c /path/to/bacula-dir.conf
>

> The documentation seems to agree with you, but I once found another command
> somewhere (don't remember exactly where), with just the -v switch.
>
> So the reload script I created to check & reload without having to enter the
> full details looks like this (there are three lines if wrapping should occur,
> # prepended to 2nd and 3rd line for safety):
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # bacula-dir -v /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
> # [ $? -eq 0 ] && service bacula-director reload || echo Config error found,
> NOT reloading.
>

> It seems to work as intended, with good as well as with bad config files.
> Is it really trying to start another instance of bacula-dir, or was I using
> some undocumented feature without realizing?
>

> When I add a -t switch, with or without -c, I get 4 or 5 lines of output
> about orphaned buffers.
> With only -v, I don't get those, but I *do* get the correct exit code to
> indicate OK or bad config.

Hi Luc

I actually like the idea of a short shell script, as long as the Distributions
"service .. reload" command issues a reload to bacula, and does not restart
the bacula-dir daemon. Something to verify by checking the init script :)

Other option, to avoid any distro-specific init file oddities is: (this will
wrap, assume one line)

[ $? -eq 0 ] && echo "reload" | bconsole -c /path/to/bconsole.conf || echo
Config error found, NOT reloading.

Also, on v7.0.4,

# bacula-dir -h

shows that -v is "verbose user messages"  so I do not see how that also, and
only checks the config file for proper syntax - unless it is an undocumented
feature.

The -c is not necessary if your configs are in the default that the bacula
binaries are compiled for.  I keep mine in a non-standard directory, so I
always specify -c, even when assisting others.

Also, then I run:

bacula-dir -v /path/to/bacula-dir.conf

or

bacula-dir -t -c /path/to/bacula-dir.conf

or

bacula-dir -v -t -c /path/to/bacula-dir.conf

(with a known good bacula-dir.conf)

Each gives no output (this is a v7.0.4 Bacula install on Gentoo Linux), so I
am not sure why you would get the "orphaned buffer" messages you mentioned.

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC