Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] is there a way to rename an active volume?

2014-09-10 04:45:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] is there a way to rename an active volume?
From: Michel Meyers <steltek AT tcnnet DOT com>
To: gary AT extremeground DOT com, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:09:07 +0200
On 07/09/2014 19:52, Gary Dale wrote:
> Not a big deal, but somehow I've ended up with a file storage volume
> that has a different naming convention from others in the pool. The
> naming convention was "daily-backup-" + a single-digit volume number.
> The amount of data keeps growing so I need to add new volumes from time
> to time. Somehow the last time I ended up with one with the wrong name.
>
> I don't actually need to rename it. Migrating to another volume in the
> same pool would also work, as would telling bacula to stop using it for
> new backups, so that it would eventually be empty.

For tapes, it used to be possible to rename them by manually writing a
label to them (btape label) and then mangling the SQL database to fit
that (don't forget to restart everything afterwards) but even there,
doing a rename of a volume carrying data wouldn't have worked (needed to
be empty to be sure).

Your best bet is probably to empty the volume and just delete/recreate it.

- Michel