Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Upgrade from 5.x to 7.0.5?

2014-09-08 09:39:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Upgrade from 5.x to 7.0.5?
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: José Vicente Mondejar <jvmondejar AT myferrylink DOT com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 15:37:42 +0200
Hello,

On 8 September 2014 15:27, José Vicente Mondejar <jvmondejar AT myferrylink DOT com> wrote:
Thank you for this suggestion. We're going to try your backport repository, although I have some questions concerning our case:
I forgot to mention that we use webacula frontend to give a web access to some users, and it adds some tables to the database. Will the upgrade from your repositories delete those additional tables?

The upgraded packages just contain the upgraded binaries compiled and to be installed according to the system's packaging guidelines; the rest comes directly from upstream. That is, the Bacula database update is managed by the original Bacula database scripts. Don't know exactly what webacula does, but I'm pretty confident that its changes are not deleted or overwritten by the Bacula database upgrade scripts.

Concerning the upgrade process from 5.0.0 to 7.0.5, should I add both repositories and enable only the bacula one to make the 5.0 to 5.2 upgrade, then enable the bacula7 to make the 5.2 to 7.0 upgrade? Or can I just add the bacula7 repository and do the upgrade without the progressive step from 5.0.x to 5.2.x ?

You can do as you prefer; the database upgrade scripts that upgrade your database from previous releases are cumulative (in Bacula 7.0 you still have the scripts to upgrade Bacula 5.0 databases to 5.2). So if your plan is to go to 7.0 I would suggest to go to 7.0.5 packages directly. Install the bacula7 repository only.

Regarding the currently installed 5.2, should I uninstall it before installing from the bacula7 repository to avoid any possible library or binary conflict? I agree about doing a fresh install in 7.0.5 with the repository and merge my current config. Would a restore of the previously saved catalog be also necessary?

For the source installations, I think you should delete anything except the database and the configuration files before installing them. If some folder has different permissions in the package than on the installed system maybe you would end up missing some filesystem attributes. I think (99% sure) that there's no need to dump/restore the catalog database. Just configure the system as you wish and point it to the existing database.

If you think there's anything that should be added/changed in the packages please let me know.

Regards,
--Simone

Regards,
Jose