Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Upgrade from 5.x to 7.0.5?

2014-09-03 08:34:14
Subject: [Bacula-users] Upgrade from 5.x to 7.0.5?
From: José Vicente Mondejar <jvmondejar AT myferrylink DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:58:57 +0200
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading our bacula servers and clients from 5.x to 7.0.5.
Our servers configurations are:
CentOS 5.5 / bacula 5.2.12 (installed from sources) / mysql 5.0.95
CentOS 5.5 / bacula 5.2.13 (installed from sources) / mysql 5.0.77
CentOS 6.3 / bacula 5.0.0 (installed from repo) / mysql 5.5.27

I've searched for a procedure to do it properly but all I've found is this:
http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/main/Installing_Bacula.html#SECTION001120000000000000000

... which tells :

"If you are upgrading from one Bacula version to another, you should first carefully read the ReleaseNotes of all major versions between your current version and the version to which you are upgrading..."

Ok, in the release notes for the 7.0.5 there is no special treatement to do.

"... you must ensure that on any one machine that all components of Bacula are running on exactly the same version..."

Ok, I'll do install the director, fd and sd at the same time. The standar make; make install does it this way. No problem.

"...save an ASCII copy of your database, then proceed to upgrade it..."
"cd <installed-scripts-dir> (default /etc/bacula)
./update_bacula_tables"

So I take there is no import of the backup we've previously made and that it is only in case of rollback to previous release.

I've taken a look at the script in the tar file and I see "Shell script to update MySQL Community version 5.0.x to 5.2.x", so I think there is no need to run it for the 5.2.x to 7.0.5 upgrade, but I'll have to run it for the 5.0.0 servers.

"The normal procedure during an upgrade is simply:

./configure (your options)
make
make install

In general none of your existing .conf or .sql files will be overwritten..."

Ok. Are there any hints in case of having to roll back to previous version? I mean, which directories/files should I copy and keep at hand in case of a make install problem?

"For additional information on upgrading, please see the Upgrading Bacula Versions section of the Bacula Enterprise Problem Resolution Guide."

The link to that ressource seems to be broken. I can't find any additional information on this.

Does anyone know of an available procedure for this? Any return of experience will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

José

MYFERRYLINK - GARE MARITIME - CS 60067 - 62102 CALAIS CEDEX
Siège social : SCOP SF - PLACE HENRI BARBUSSE - 62100 CALAIS
SCP - SA à capital variable - RCS BOULOGNE SUR MER - 53879316700015 - APE 5010Z

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels ou même couverts par le secret professionnel et transmis à l'intention exclusive de leurs destinataires. Toute modification, édition, utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée est interdite. La responsabilité de MyFerryLink ne saurait être engagée en raison d'erreurs ou d'omissions dans la transmission ou l'interception de courriels.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person to whom or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. MyFerryLink does not accept liability for errors or omissions arising as a result of email transmission or its interception