Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How big is an Enterprise?

2014-06-29 11:13:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How big is an Enterprise?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: keeling AT spamcop DOT net, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 17:07:51 +0200
Hello Graham,

Thanks for your "Full disclosure".

To answer your question: a *well* tuned Bacula community Director can
probably handle between 1000-1500 "normal" size jobs per 12 hour backup
period.  A normal job is a normal Linux or Microsoft server that would
include a few terabytes (say up to 10) of data/server and perhaps on the
average 1 million files/server. If the data volume goes up
significantly, one may need to consider multiple Storage daemons as
there is a certain data throughput that a SD will support.  The issues
with the Director are mostly the total number of files (i.e. the catalog).

A Bacula Enterprise Director can probably handle 5000 similar jobs per
day.

For others on this list: I have been well aware of the Burp fork since
its beginning, and I have no problems with it.  I have never considered
it a hostile fork as is the case of Bareos.

That said, there are some minor issues with the Burp fork. If you
(Graham) are now planning to enter the Enterprise market or do head to
head competition with Bacula or Bacula Enterprise, we should discuss.
Nothing really serious and nothing to worry about.  It is also curious
to say that Burp "started out" as a fork of Bacula.  Is there a point
where a fork stops being a fork?

Best regards,
Kern