Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] "Block checksum mismatch" on file storage

2014-06-28 03:36:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] "Block checksum mismatch" on file storage
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: advantex AT posteo DOT de, Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 09:30:12 +0200
It is unlikely that this is a Bacula problem, especially considering
your remark that you have
used it for years and never had any problems.

My best guess is that you have bad media or a bad medium or a bad
connector.  When writing, unless the OS reports an error, Bacula assumes
the write is good.  That is, it does not re-read the data.  If you want
to verify then you must run a Bacula verify job after the backup job.

I suspect that there is no difference between Bacula and rsync except
that rsync is writing on a part of the media that is good and Bacula is
writing elsewhere.

There are several solutions (this is not exhaustive):  1. Get new
media.  2. Use a more reliable form of backup device (USB is relatively
unreliable compared to SATA, ...).  3. Run read/write disk tests on your
USB disk (note: this will destroy any existing data). 4. Check your OS
logs.  They may show low level errors that are not reported to Bacula.
If you have such errors, you must eliminate them to have reliable
backups (or said the other way around: reliable backups *never* generate
any OS device errors).

Best regards,
Kern