Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula schedule - One tape for 2 days.

2014-06-19 03:21:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula schedule - One tape for 2 days.
From: Gi Dot <gadidot AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:15:42 +0800
Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my backup schedule. The requirement is to use 1 tape for 2 days incremental backup and 1 tape for 1 day full backup. The tapes will be classified into 2 groups, the odd week(1st, 3rd, 5th week of the month), and the even week(2nd and 4th week of the month). Let's call the odd week as Week 1, and even week as Week 2.

Example:

Week 1.
Tape A: Monday - Tuesday (Incremental)
Tape B: Wednesday - Thursday (Incremental)
Tape C: Friday (Full)
Tape D: Saturday - Sunday (Incremental)

Week 2.
Tape E: Monday - Tuesday (Incremental)
Tape F: Wednesday - Thursday (Incremental)
Tape G: Friday (Full)
Tape H: Saturday - Sunday (Incremental)

My problem is for incremental backup schedule. An excerpt of my schedule:

Schedule {
  Name = "SatSunW1"
  Run = Incremental 1st sat-sun at 13:00
  Run = Incremental 3rd sat-sun at 13:00
  Run = Incremental 5th sat-sun at 13:00
}

Schedule {
  Name = "SatSunW2"
  Run = Incremental 2nd sat-sun at 13:00
  Run = Incremental 4th sat-sun at 13:00
}

This works beautifully for Saturdays AND Sundays that fall on the same group of either odd or even day in the month. Else, it'll fail.

Example where it works:
WK   Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
18 . ..1 234
19 5 678 91011
20 12 131415 161718
21 19 202122 232425
22 26 272829 3031.

Saturday, May3rd and Sunday, May 4th. Both are in the same week(1st week), in the month of May. This works well.

Example where it doesn't work:
WK   Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
23 2 345 678
24 9 101112 131415
25 16 171819 202122
26 23 242526 272829
27 30

Saturday, June 14th and Sunday, June 15th. 14th June is the second Saturday in the month of June, while 15th June is the 3rd Sunday in the month of June. Thus, on Saturday, schedule SatSunW2 will be triggered (Tape H in the drive), but on Sunday, schedule SatSunW1 will be triggered but it won't run because it is waiting for Tape D. I thought my schedule syntax is right because I'm using day-range to run a backup job on Saturday and the next day, Sunday.

What would be the best way for me to solve my schedule problem?

Thanks.

p.s. Sorry for the lengthy explanation, I tried my best to write up my problem the best way I could.