Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help with retention periods

2014-06-05 14:22:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help with retention periods
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 15:20:10 -0300
Hi Florian,

About your incremental and differential retention periods:

1) incremental pool: you want to have daily volumes. The is Volume Retention = 8 days oversizing your backup window. I would suggest you to put it 6 or 7 days, but you have to consider the volume last written time and count the retention period from this value (we don´t know your backup run time).

2) differential pool: if you want to have 4 or 5 volumes in this pool (each one being used at the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th sundays), you have to increase the volume retention period. 9 days is too short, you will get 1 or 2 volumes in this pool being recycled. So, I would suggest you to put here the same 34 days as full backups.

Regards,
Ana