Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula-dir ignores second File storage device

2014-04-28 18:27:11
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula-dir ignores second File storage device
From: shockwavecs <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 15:19:00 -0700
Bacula documentation helped me out  [Embarassed]

 An important thing to know is that Bacula treats disks like tape drives as
much as it can. This means that you can only have a single Volume mounted at
one time on a disk as defined in your Device resource in the Storage daemon's
conf file. You can have multiple concurrent jobs running that all write to the
one Volume that is being used, but if you want to have multiple concurrent jobs
that are writing to separate disks drives (or partitions), you will need to
define separate Device resources for each one, exactly as you would do for two
different tape drives. There is one fundamental difference, however. The
Volumes that you create on the two drives cannot be easily exchanged as they
can for a tape drive, because they are physically resident (already mounted in
a sense) on the particular drive. As a consequence, you will probably want to
give them different Media Types so that Bacula can distinguish what Device
resource to use during a restore. An example would be the following:

Device {
  Name = Disk1
  Media Type = File1
  Archive Device = /disk1
  LabelMedia = yes;
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}

Device {
  Name = Disk2
  Media Type = File2
  Archive Device = /disk2
  LabelMedia = yes;
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}

On top of that they actually say you can trick it by symbolically linking more
drives to other disks. thats crazy and stupid IMHO.