Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Windows still supported.

2014-04-03 14:24:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Windows still supported.
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Andrea Venturoli <ml AT netfence DOT it>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 20:21:53 +0200
On 04/03/2014 12:43 PM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 04/03/14 11:03, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de wrote:
>
>> Windows (as client) is still supported, but you have to buy newer
>> Windows Binaries from Bacula Systems :
>> http://www.baculasystems.com/windows-binaries-for-bacula-community-users
> I have a few questions regarding this:
> _ is source still provided?
It is in the old source code, and as far as I know it still works fine.
> _ if yes, why wouldn't anyone be able to compile himself?
Yes, but it is unfortunately not simple, and I was just no longer able
to spend the time to build two versions.
> _ are the above binaries licensed to end users only?
I don't think Bacula Systems really cares who purchases it.  You just
are not allowed to purchase one copy and use it on multiple machines.
> Let's say we have
> two (three, four, ...) customers for which we manage two Bacula
> installations; should they both buy a license?
Yes, you or they can do that.
> Or should we buy one?
Yes, you can do that but you need to buy one license for each Director
used and the very minimal cost depends on how many clients each Director
has.

The cost of this binaries barely pays for Bacula Systems costs, and over
the the last few months where the sales have declined it doesn't even
cover the cost.

Best regards,
Kern