Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Slow backups

2013-12-20 19:26:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] Slow backups
From: "Levie, Jim" <Jim.Levie AT dynetics DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 00:10:22 +0000
I have a group of three CentoOS 5.10 boxes and client backups are, well, slow.
The hardware specs are that the systems are all Dell R710's (dual quad
processors w/24GB of memory). The Bacula server/storage node has a Dell LT04
Powervault 124T and is an authentication only server (LDAP) for a small (~20
node) network. Each of the clients is a pure file server with dual bonded 1Gps
links to a CISO switch. One with 3TB and the other with 3TB internal and 6TB in
an external hardware RAID box. The total to be backed up is about 11TB.
Compression is not used, but spooling into a 5GB space with 10k SAS drives in
RAID 0 is used. The overall rate on the sever/storage node is only about
10-12Mps and that on either of the clients is only about 9-10Mps. It takes
5-6days to get a full backup. It would seem like I should be getting better
than that.

Observations:

I consistently see network bandwidth in both between the nodes directions as
measured by Iperf3 better than 930Mps.
NFS or scp bulk transfers of data of mixed sized files is consistently above
60Mps.
Data rates from spool to tape is quite good (70-100Mps).
There are no user tasks run on any of these boxes.
Memory usage on the boxes is about what one expect for their role.
CPU usage on the boxes is, if anything, low.
Iostat numbers are relatively low.
Watching top shows nothing interesting (like something spending a lot of time
in a run state).

It seems that the bottle neck, after limited experimentation, is in the file
director or in its communication with director or storage director. But I am at
a loss as to how to probe further, or to speed it up.

The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may contain
privileged and/or proprietary information that is intended solely for the
person or entity to which it is addressed. Moreover, it may contain export
restricted technical data controlled by Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Any review,
retransmission, dissemination, or re-export to foreign or domestic entities by
anyone other than the intended recipient in accordance with EAR and/or ITAR
regulations is prohibited.