Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] restoring backed up catalogue alongside live catalogue

2013-12-05 00:19:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] restoring backed up catalogue alongside live catalogue
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 05:16:15 +0000
I'm documenting the restore procedure for a customer site. For offsite media, I
am backing up the catalogue to the offsite media, and then purging the records
for that media from the catalog (so that subsequent virtualfull backups don't
try and use the offsite media as a source, which leads to all sorts of
confusion).

There are several TB of onsite Bacula storage, which will cover 99% of restore
scenario's, but if a user did want a file that had fallen off the end of the
onsite storage and I needed to restore from archived media, I think the
procedure might go like:

1. bextract the catalogue from the offsite media (I save the bsr file too so
this should be quick)
2. load the catalogue into a different mysql database (or sqlite3 maybe, with
an appropriate dump converter?)
3. create a restore job that uses this new catalogue
4. restore the file

Is my idea of using a different restore job with a different catalogue to what
Bacula uses normally going to work? The config file appears to allow for this
but that doesn't mean it works in practice...

Thanks

James