Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Some unanswered questions

2013-08-20 04:14:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Some unanswered questions
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:11:00 +0200
Hello,

2013/8/20 debuggercz <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Hello,

I decided deploy Bacula on servers in the school. A have some questions if you have one minute.

1.) I heard that Bacula have problem with scalability. It can use any DB but it cannot use multiple instances. Do you know the solution of this?

How large will be your deployment? More then 2000 clients and more then 100M files? If no forget about it. You can handle it easily with a single Director and single Catalog database.

2.) How effectively link verify job to a normal backup? When the backup is performed we want to verify that the backup is all right...

What do you mean?
The only solution to verify any kind of write is a read. If you want to verify that your backup is correct is you should perform a restore.

3.) I read on the internet about load-balancing (multiple Directory daemons). Is it possible automatically associate clients to the Directory daemon? I only know about manual associated clients into groups where one group is managed by one Directory daemon.

How many backup clients will you plan to deploy?

I bet you will have a performance problem with server network throughput bottleneck first then Director. A single Bacula Client with a single Job can saturate 1Gbit/s Ethernet without a problem (if you know what hardware you require and how to setup it correctly). Why do you think a Bacula Director cannot handle 1 client with one job running? :) In this case you should separate Storage Daemon server from Director then install next Storage Daemon, then another SD and another...

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net