Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble adding tape to pool

2013-01-29 08:15:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Trouble adding tape to pool
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:11:12 +0100
Am 28.01.2013 20:42, schrieb Alan McKay:
> When I originally did "label barcodes" it scanned my jukebox but was
> unable to add 1 tape to the Default pool - looks like the read-only
> tab was set on that tape which was inadvertent.
>
> Now I have tape 000006L4 in Slot 8 that appears to be labelled
> properly with its barcode but it is not in a pool

That doesn't make sense. If the write protect tab was set then
Bacula was unable to write the label to the tape.

My guess would be rather that the tape was labeled already,
perhaps from an earlier experiment, so Bacula refused to
overwrite the existing label. You should be able to find out
what actually happened from the Bacula log file.

> and I can't figure
> out how to get it there :
>
> *update slots
[...]
> Volume "000006L4" not found in catalog. Slot=8 InChanger set to zero.

Yes, "update slots" doesn't add new volumes.

> If I do "add" it wants this "base volume name" which is going to
> change the volume name from the barcode number and I don't want that.
>
> *add pool=Default storage=SL24
> You probably don't want to be using this command since it
> creates database records without labeling the Volumes.
> You probably want to use the "label" command.
>
> Enter number of Volumes to create. 0=>fixed name. Max=3: 1

Choose the "fixed name" alternative here, ie. enter 0 and it
will let you enter the volume name exactly as you want it.

> Label barcodes fails because it is already labelled.
>
> *label barcodes slot=8
[...]
> 3920 Cannot label Volume because it is already labeled: "000006L4"
> Label command failed for Volume 000006L4.

Exactly. I guess that's what happened during your original label run.

> Do I really have to wipe this tape (load it, weof, unload) to do
> something useful with it?

That would be one possibility. Adding it with its fixed name as I
wrote above is the second one. A third one would be to bscan it.

Am 28.01.2013 20:57, schrieb Alan McKay:
> Well I just accomplished it by stopping sd, woefing the tape, and then
> restarting and finally going into bconsole again to do my label
> command.

You needn't stop/restart the sd for that. "unmount SL24" before and
"mount LS24" afterwards would have been enough.

HTH
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt