Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] save DB's online

2013-01-17 08:55:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] save DB's online
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 08:52:32 -0500
On 01/17/13 08:33, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> Could we expect to see better db performance by moving to innodb or
> one of MariaDB's fancy new backends? I'm especially interested in
> improving volume recycle times which can be quite long with our setup
> (200GB file table). the DELETE from File where JobId in (.....) can
> take a few hours sometimes.

InnoDB in general performs considerably better than MyISAM, especially
on current MySQL branches.  Percona claims that their XtraDB engine has
a slight performance edge over InnoDB.  I don't have any direct
experience with MariaDB yet.

MyISAM can perform reasonably in an almost-all-read situation, but on
any modern-scale DB, as soon as you start throwing any significant
percentage of writes into the query mix MyISAM performance completely
tanks.  I've seen all-MyISAM customer DBs at a complete standstill from
write-contention bottlenecks.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.