Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Plans for support block-based dedupe?

2013-01-04 08:49:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Plans for support block-based dedupe?
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT serverock DOT ee>
To: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:46:31 +0200
On 04.01.2013 15:11, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
Hello,

2013/1/4 Silver Salonen <silver AT serverock DOT ee>
3. Partial restores can only be made to the client that did the backup, not to another client if necessary(redirected recover).

Not true. In our implementation we can restore any file to any deduplication enabled bacula client. No restrictions here.

He meant PARTIAL restore and in this case it's totally valid. But I don't think it can be considered as a downside of client-side deduplication as such - partial restore is always possible only to the client that already has some portion of the original data.

OK, what is a PARTIAL restore?
Does it mean a client during restore reads a block of recovered but existing file and if a digest of a read block is the same like from a restore then no data is transferred from backup server? If yes, OK you are right.

Yes, I understand it that way :)

--
Silver