Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] (no subject)

2012-11-28 16:40:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] (no subject)
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:36:40 +0100
Zitat von "Luis H. Forchesatto" <luisforchesatto AT gmail DOT com>:

> Greetings.
>
> I'm running bacula and I got 3 jobs for a single server that backup the
> entire filesystem. Searching how to enable multiple jobs at the same time i
> found the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs" directive but also found this line:
>
> "We recommend that you carefully test your multiple concurrent backup
> including doing thorough restore testing before you put it into production."
>
> Font:
> http://www.bacula.org/fr/dev-manual/Tips_and_Suggestions.html#SECTION0081818000000000000000
>
> Which problems may occur when running multiple jobs from the same server?

You need careful testing and understanding to not actually slow down
your backups because of concurrency. If you do not use data encryption
most of the time the I/O will be your bottleneck and it doesn't help
to load the same I/O channel with more than one backup at once for
example. If you want to do this with a Windows clients be aware that
it doesn't work with neither VSS nor Data Encryption. If it is Unix
with more than one I/O channel and a fast connection to your backup
server you might get more speed with concurrent backups.

Regards

Andreas