Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using .bsr file on restore.

2012-11-23 13:21:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using .bsr file on restore.
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "Luis H. Forchesatto" <luisforchesatto AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 21:58:03 +0400
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:42:08 -0200
"Luis H. Forchesatto" <luisforchesatto AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> I got two servers running bacula, one of them is the director and
> client and the other is client and storage daemon (storage = file).
> Lets say the Server1 got the director and Server2 got the volumes. I
> need to know if I can use an .bsr file on the Server1 to restore data
> to and USB drive, my doubt is that if the bextract command will
> somehow connect do the storage server to get the backup.

Your assumption is correct: the bootstrap file just specifies on which
volumes, and where exactly on those volumes the files which hold the
job's data are located.  Note that those "files" are just solid blocks
of data on the volumes, they're not the files which were backed up.

Hence bootstrap files can do these things for you:
1) If you've lost the catalog, but still have the bootstrap file for
   the last catalog backup job and the media holding that backup, you
   can use that bootstrap file to easily recover the catalog backup,
   that is, without messing with bls, bextract and bscan.
2) If, again, you've lost the catalog, or got certain jobs pruned from
   it but still have the volumes with the data from those jobs,
   possessing bootstrap files from those jobs enable you to quickly do a
   restore of the whole job which is not in the catalog.  Actually,
   as you can see, (1) is just a narrower case of this one.
3) A bootstrap file might speed up preparing the restore operation.

In other words, to perform a restore you must have a working storage
daemon which will read the backup media and a file daemon which will
receive the restored files.