Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude files leads to an empty backup

2012-11-20 08:28:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude files leads to an empty backup
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 08:23:19 -0500
On 11/12/12 05:28, Julien Cochennec wrote:> Hi everybody, here's a Fileset
that's driving me crazy :
> FileSet {
>    Name = "Home Machin Linux Backup"
>    Include {
>      Options {
>        signature = MD5
>        compression = GZIP
>      }
>      File = /home/machin
>    }
>    Exclude {
>        File = /home/machin/musique
>        File = /home/machin/pictures
>        File = /home/machin/trash
>        File = /home/machin/scangel
>        File = /home/machin/perso
>    }
> }
> When I execute a backup, the result is empty (0 Kb) but the backup is OK.
> The directory is not empty and all subdirectories exists.
> I've tried to add exclude = Yes in the options, but changed nothing.

Hi Julien,

The "Exclude = Yes" option is for excluding wildcards, and appears in the
options section within the Include section of the Fileset along with the
wildcard (wildfile, wilddir..) or regular expression definitions to be excluded.

So just adding exclude = yes will do nothing without wildcards or regular
expressions defined ther as well.

> The server is Bacula 5.0.1 and the client is 5.2.6, may it be the cause
> of the empty backup?

Anything is possible. As it was already stated though, the rule of thumb for
versions is:

DIR == SD >= FD

> When I use another fileset with /home and no exclude, it works!!!

Another Fileset? A completely different one? Not edit this one and remove the
exclude stanza?

> Strange, isn't it?

This may be too simplistic an answer, but is it possible that you have edited
the Fileset but not told Bacula about the changes?

After making a change to a Fileset (or any other resource), you need to
execute the reload command within bconsole.

Also, to speed up verifying Fileset changes you can test your Filesets without
actually running a backup by using the estimate command like so:

(at shell prompt)
# edit config(s)
# bacula-dir -t -c /path/to/bacula-dir.conf (this parses and verifies the
config so that issuing a reload in bconsole will not crash your director)

(in bconsole)
* reload
* estimate listing Job=JobName Level=Incremental

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC