Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity (variable?)

2012-09-25 03:50:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity (variable?)
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:48:26 +0200
Zitat von Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>:

> Thanks for the info, John.
>
> Is there anyone else in the bacula community with LTO3's seeing this
> behaviour?  I don't believe (but am not 100% sure) that I'm having any
> hardware-related issues.
>
> Not sure what to make of this.  About 25% of tapes in a monthly run (70
> tapes) are under the 400Gb native, but then the other 75% are above it,
> some even hitting the 800Gb top.

As said by others. The native capacity is 400Gb and Bacula simply
writes to the tape until the write does not succed which Bacula take
as "tape full". If you have some (full) tapes with less than 400Gb you
either have some older tapes (LTO-2) or problem with your hardware or
tapes. The tapes with more than 400Gb simply contains data which can
be better compressed by the built-in compression of the drive.

Regards

Andreas