Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Variables and director's configs

2012-08-22 16:57:45
Subject: [Bacula-users] Variables and director's configs
From: Martin S <martins.listz AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:55:45 -0300
Hi list!,

I'm trying to configure a new bacula server, so this time I'd like to
make it as clear and flexible as I can.

On the director side, my idea is to have a few config files, and then
import them at client's.

Inside bacula-dir.conf, I'm including a file for the client:

@/etc/bacula/director-cfgs/clients/client1.conf

Here is the output of it:

Client {
  Name = Client1
  Address = client1.example.local
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "123456"
  AutoPrune = yes
}

Fileset {
  ** blah **
}

And from this file, I'm including two more files for storages  and pools:

***** Storages.conf ****

Storage {
  Name = "${Client}_Monthly_Disk"
  Address = 123.123.123.100
  SDPORT = 9103
  Password = "123456"
  Device = "${Client}_Monthly_Device"
  MediaType = "${Client}_MediaType"
}

Storage {
  Name = "${Client}_Yearly_Disk"
  Address = 123.123.123.200
  SDPORT = 9103
  Password = "123456"
  Device = "${Client}_Yearly_Device"
  MediaType = "${Client}_MediaType"
}

****** Pools.conf ******

Pool {
  Name = Monthly_Full_Pool
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  Volume Retention = 14 months
  Storage = "${Client}_Monthly_Disk"
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
  AutoPrune = yes
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  Label Format =
"${Client}_Monthly_Full-${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}"
}

Pool {
  Name = Yearly_Full_Pool
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  Volume Retention = 3 years
  Storage = "${Client}_Yearly_Disk"
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
  AutoPrune = yes
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  Label Format = "${Client}_Yearly_Full-${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}"
}

In this schema, I should be able to include storages.conf and
pools.conf from every client config. Also, updating or adding a new
storage/pool would be very simple.
The thing is that the Object "Storage" doesn't accepts variables on
"Name", and if a set a fixed name for it, bacula complains that the
storage declared under Pool doesn't exists.

I also have a jobs.conf, where some jobs are declared with variables
too, but for the sake of shortness I omitted in this post.

Can you give me some advice?
Can't find the way of doing it without declaring a lot of jobs, pools
and storages for each client, which is a pain in the arse.
Have read the doc a few times, but there isn't much information about
variables (did I miss something?).

Cheers,

Martin