Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent despooling Data with Concurrent Jobs

2012-08-09 09:50:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent despooling Data with Concurrent Jobs
From: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:47:37 -0400
On 8/9/12 8:28 AM, "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

>> According to [1] this should not happen:
>> "...While the spooled data is being written to the tape, the despooling
>> process has exclusive use of the tape. This means that you can spool
>> multiple simultaneous jobs to disk, then have them very efficiently
>> despooled one at a time without having the data blocks from several jobs
>> intermingled, thus substantially improving the time needed to restore
>>files.
>> While despooling, all jobs spooling continue running...."
>>

>BTW, I am not sure about this one. However it would not be the first
>time that someone found an incorrect statement in the manual.
>
>Although it may be that bacula writes volume files exclusively when
>spooling. Remember volumes are divided into many 1GB files unless you
>changed that.  I see that some users extend that to 5GB for LTO5
>drives.
>

>John

I have had multiple jobs assigned to the same tape drive.  If there is
space and none of the thresholds have been reached, the spooling jobs do
continue their spooling.  If a job B is ready to despool to tape and job A
is despooling, job B will wait its turn.  The status on the storage
changer will provide the current state of each job, including the despool
wait.  I also check the timestamps on the spool files to make sure things
are still moving along.

Patti Clark
Information International Associates, Inc.
Linux Administrator and subcontractor to:
Research and Development Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory