Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] mtx and Overland Neo8000e

2012-04-26 07:49:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] mtx and Overland Neo8000e
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:47:28 +0100
On 25/04/12 19:59, Adrian Reyer wrote:
>> But the time it takes for status/load/unload is about 2 minutes per action
>> where 1 minute and 45 seconds goes by doing "nothing at all".
>
> 2 Minutes sound reasonable, you can see stuff moving through the front
> window. What do you mean by 'nothing at all': just from the software
> point of view, or if you look inside the hardware (if that is possible
> with the 8000e)?

I've got a Neo8000 and it spends 10 seconds at most before moving, when
given a load/unload command.

2 minutes sounds manifestly excessive - I'd guess that something else on
the machine is holding the sg device open.

> However, mtx, Bacula and the library itself have quite different
> opinions on which way to number the slots. No big deal mostly but for
> the 'mail magazine'. I have not yet further investigated this.

The library can be configured to make slots and drives 0-anchored or
1-anchored. The defaults usually match mtx.

Which is chosen doesn't matter as long as bacula and the library agree
on which slot number any given tape is in - bacula believes mtx for this
and if mtx is used for all activity then any disagreement is moot.

(FWIW MTX is 0-anchored for drives and 1-anchored for slots)

Assuming 1-anchoring on slots, the mail magazine is slots 501-515

I've written a couple of simple shell scripts to load/unload the
magazine (places tapes randomly in slots to give even wear patterns)

Update slots MUST be run after any changes or things start getting out
of sync very quickly.

Because of potential multipathing issues and varying discovery order at
startup, it's best to NOT refer to drives as /dev/nst* in bacula's
configuration, but to use /dev/tape/by-id/

Even better is to create something like /etc/bacula/DEVICES/ and put
symlinks from /dev/tape/by-id/XYZ to changer-driveN in there, then use
those inside bacula - that makes the setup much more human readable.