Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Almir 0.1 released (bacula web interface)

2012-04-09 10:49:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Almir 0.1 released (bacula web interface)
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 10:48:17 -0400
On 04/09/2012 09:48 AM, Domen Kožar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what version of mysql are you running? It seems you are running a
> version with old password hashes, which changed in mysql 5.0. I'm not
> sure what versions current almir mysql driver supports (have to check),
> but mysql 4.1 is the minimum version that can be supported.

The default MySQL configuration files shipped with almost every Linux
distribution's MySQL packages, *even for MySQL 5.5*, still enable the
old_passwords setting by default "for backward compatibility".  It makes
me want to kick people.  The old style MySQL 3 password hashes were
deprecated over ten years ago, because they were insecure THEN, and the
attacks haven't gotten any weaker in the intervening ten years.

There is really no excuse for it on the part of the packagers.  I
suspect they will continue to enable old_passwords by default until
Oracle completely removes old-style password hash support.

</rant>

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.