Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole with json

2011-12-14 03:02:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole with json
From: Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:57:26 +0100
Op 20111212 om 18:08 schreef Hugo Letemplier:
> Hello,
>
> I have some project ideas. If people like it, maybe it can be
> developed in next bacula versions.

    [ too many ideas for in a single post ]

> Idea --- Having a programming interface that can talk like bconsole.
> It's not always easy to talk to another shell and bconsole uses
> As I understood, python integration in bacula is effective only on a
> bacula event. Please correct me if I am wrong.
> I created a library in python (via pexpect) in order to have an
> interface for my scripts. It's talking to bconsole and directly to the
> catalog (read only).
> I can give this python lib to anyone but I am not a very good
> programmer so many things may need to be revisited.
> It allowed me to write many scripts (management, monitoring, pruning…)
> including the one that run my copy jobs that is mentioned at the
> beginning.

A few weeks ago I had the idea to clone bconsole into a json bconsole.
It would mostly be a rewrite of the output functions so that
the output would be in json ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Json
and RFC 4627 for details )
That way it would be more easy to give bconsole a webinterface.

I abandon the idea as I had no clue how to add session stuff
so that a "web request" would be answered to the right connection.

Now just only telling about it in the hope to spark someone
more in the need for a webinterface then me.

> Thank you in advance for your comments about theses ideas.
>
> If someone is interested I will be happy to share parts of my python code.
> If some features are developed I might have time to help developing or
> try theses functionalities

<warning>Compliment ahead</warning>

It brightens my day that users do care about development
of the tool they use daily.

Continue to persue what you think that is right for Bacula.

> Hugo

Cheers
Geert Stappers
Only subscribed to the Bacula user mailinglist
(Meaning has no information what happens on the developers list)