Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, Offsite, and Restores

2011-09-17 13:15:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, Offsite, and Restores
From: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:12:39 -0300
2011/9/16 Eric Pratt <eric.pratt AT etouchpoint DOT com>
Thank you for your feedback, Rodrigo.  I looked up the copy job
information as you suggested.  From what I can tell, you have to purge
the original job before you can use a copy.  This means to me that to
do a restore, we have to:

1) identify all the jobs associated with all the files being restored.
2) purge those jobs from the database (which promoted their copies to
a restorable state)
3) perform the restore

Well, in order to restore from the Copy tapes, yes, you have to purge the original
tapes...

But you don't have to purge the original tapes if you want to do a normal
routine restore. Even if you pull out the Copy tapes from your library right after
a Copy Job (which is the hole idea), your restores will work normally like there
never was a Copy Job ran before...

The original tapes will stay intact on your on-site location and you'll use these
original tapes to do your restores. You will only use your "copy jobs" tapes in
case of a disaster...