Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, Offsite, and Restores

2011-09-16 20:42:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula, Offsite, and Restores
From: Eric Pratt <eric.pratt AT etouchpoint DOT com>
To: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:34:00 -0700
Thank you for your feedback, Rodrigo.  I looked up the copy job
information as you suggested.  From what I can tell, you have to purge
the original job before you can use a copy.  This means to me that to
do a restore, we have to:

1) identify all the jobs associated with all the files being restored.
2) purge those jobs from the database (which promoted their copies to
a restorable state)
3) perform the restore

Since I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for my coworkers to
restore, having them go through the process of identifying the jobs
for a given backup and purging them seems a bit much.  I've decided to
stick with the dual client method.  I've implemented it and tested it.
 It is working beautifully!

We're running CentOS and the Redhat/CentOS init script for bacula-fd
as supplied will not allow multiple clients.  I had to modify it to
allow that.  In fact, I will look into submitting my updated init
script to the package maintainer.  The init script doesn't use the PID
files generated by bacula to manage the process and it should, even if
you just want to run a single client.  Other than that, the only
drawback is that when we do perform offsite backups, we are
essentially moving that data over the network twice (once for the
normal backups and once for the offsite backups.)  Since we're not
moving a lot of data, this is a non-issue.

Thanks again!

Eric