Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Ubuntu 10.10 Install Script

2011-06-30 22:13:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Ubuntu 10.10 Install Script
From: Venkatesh K Reddy <venkatesh AT kaevee DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 07:39:38 +0530

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Mehma Sarja <mehmasarja AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On 6/30/11 2:34 PM, Konstantin Khomoutov wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:04:34AM -0700, Mehma Sarja wrote:
>
>> I submit to you an updated Ubuntu 10.10 install script which works for
>> me on a 64 bit machine.
> [...]
>
> What's wrong with `aptitude install bacula`?
> In case you desperately need 5.0.3 over 5.0.2 from meerkat, what's wrong
> with backporting a 5.0.3 package from a more recent OS release?

I did not know that existed. But there are a couple of things wrong with
apt-get install bacula. The choices are confusing and the hit and miss
approach leaves a broken install. apt-get install selects some odd
places to put bacula config files. I could not find any control files,
eg bacula-ctl-dir, on the system. I could not get postgresql to switch
modes to sql_ascii from utf8. I don't know what a "postgresql server
dev" package installs other than to satisfy the libpq need. What a
headache to save typing a few commands and compile the thing.

Besides a native compile is always good, eh? It is clean and simple and
you control what functionality to compile in. It also gives one some
practice skills for when the time cometh and we go looking for the usr
local etc directory to run the upgrade commands.

The way package dependencies are handled in Ubuntu can be bit confusing at times.

I have Bacula installed in 10.10 and I find all the configuration files in "/etc/bacula". You can find state files in "/var/lib/bacula" and log in "/var/lob/bacula".

I am using MySQL though.

Thanks,

Venkatesh K