Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Device

2011-06-29 11:42:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Device
From: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:38:40 -0400
On 06/28/2011 04:38 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:
> It isn't necessary. jbod1-drive-1, jbod1-drive-2, etc. are virtual
> drives. The ArchiveDevice path in each virtual drive contains a symlink.
> The symlink is created by vchanger to point to the folder containing the
> volume file that is to be used. Any of the virtual drives may be
> "loaded" with a volume from any of the "magazines" (ie physical drives).

Ah, ok... so all these months I have been looking at this the wrong way!
  I didn't realize bacula was telling me what "virtual drive" it was
using, I thought it was telling me what drive bacula "thinks" it was
writing to!  Thank you for clearing that up for me!  So, if I understand
what you are saying, I  should leave the "Autochanger" config in my
bacula-sd file, and I can remove the 16 "Device" entries in my SD file?

> It is possible for all 16 of your virtual drives to be simultaneously
> writing to different volume files on the same physical drive.

> What this is telling you is that you are not running jobs
> concurrently, so they are all using SD device jbod1-drive-1.

I most definitely want to run jobs concurrently!  Once in production I
will be backing up a 200-300 machines!  I thought I had configured
bacula correctly for this as I am pretty sure I saw multiple jobs
running at the same time.. Maybe they were, but they were using the same
"virtual disk"?  How do I get bacula to write data using more than one
virtual drive?  I have all my config files set to 20 for concurrent
jobs, but evidently the jobs are all using the same VD and not multiple
VD's.  What am I missing?

Thank you for your help and a great explanation of what's going on!

mike