Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restore of large data set takes extremely long to build dir tree,

2011-06-24 18:00:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restore of large data set takes extremely long to build dir tree,
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 22:56:51 +0100
On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, ted wrote:

> I have an issue when trying a restore of a large data set consisting of
> about 6.5TB and 35,000,000 files the console takes an extremely long time
> to build the directory tree, over an hr. After the tree is built I typed
> "mark *" and this command ran for about 18 hours before I hit ctrl-c; the
> mySQL server showed no activity and neither bconsole nor bacula-dir was
> not using any CPU, so I believe the process just petered out. I was
> wondering if anyone has been successful in restoring large TB data sets.
> Either ones containing a large number of individual files or ones that
> are 6TB or larger with small file lists and contain small number of large
> files?

You are not alone.  I have one client in particular for whom building the
file tree takes about 25-30 minutes.  Like you, I'm using MySQL.  There
have been suggestions from a number of quarters which suggest that
Postgresql doesn't have this issue.

This may not necessarily be a criticism of MySQL, so much as that the
developers tend to spend more time working with Postgresql and therefore
Bacula is better optimised toward Postgresql.

There is a discussion here:

http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Tuning-for-large-%28millions-of-files%29-backups--tt30099042.html#a30259098

We plan migrating to Postgresql as that's the only solution I know of right
now.

Gavin