Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore of files when they don't list

2011-06-23 17:05:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore of files when they don't list
From: Steve Ellis <ellis AT brouhaha DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:01:56 -0700
On 6/23/2011 1:31 PM, Troy Kocher wrote:
> Listers,
>
> I'm trying to restore data from medicaid 27, but it appears there are no
> files.  There is a file corresponding with this still on the disk, so I think
> it's just been purged from the database.
>
> Could someone help me thru the restore process when the files are no longer
> in the database.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Troy

There are really only 3 options here that I can think of:
     1) restore the entire job (probably to an temporary location), then
prune the bits you don't want.
     2) use bscan of the volume to recreate the file list in the db
(note that I have only used this when the job itself had been expired
from the DB)
     3) restore a dump of the catalog that contains the file entries
that you wanted that have been expired

I'm pretty sure I've done both #1 and #2, #3 I'd be much more reluctant
to just try, as I would worry about clobbering more recent catalog data,
unless you used a separate catalog db for the restoration.  Unless the
job is really huge, I'd probably do #1, because bscan is (slightly)
dodgy, especially for backups that span volumes (IMHO, note that it is
_much_ better than not having bscan at all).  Sorry I can't provide more
detail, hopefully someone else will be able to help more.

-se