Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Feature idea : Copy in bat ; copy selection improvement ; multiple jobid in bconsole copy job and other copy idea…

2011-06-17 06:04:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Feature idea : Copy in bat ; copy selection improvement ; multiple jobid in bconsole copy job and other copy idea…
From: Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:00:39 +0200
2011/6/7 Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>:
> Hi
>
> I have some ideas. What do you think about it ?
>
> 1. Be able to select dynamically various job to copy : a sort of
> manual copy selection when you run a new job manually
>
> 2. Add a copy option in the jobrun list of bat when you right click on
> one job or a job selection (with the CTRL key )
>
> 3. Select multiple job via the following command in bconsole:
> run job=MyCopyJob-to-tape jobid=1000
> So you can do the following
> run job=MyCopyJob-to-tape jobid=1000,999,998…
>
> 4. Be able to copy from many pool in one so the nextpool directive
> should be in the copy job resource.
>
> For me I got many pools and one that is for Archiving on tapes ( call
> it WORM tapes ) each month I want all the uncopied job and their
> dependencies ( previous full, or diff or incs ) from many pools to be
> archived on a tape. So I will have to use one tape to restore the full
> and some incs.
>
> For the moment I am trying to do that with an sql query but I need
> more flexibility because on some months I will have to copy/or not
> some extra data because my tape will be exceptionally ful or the
> montly.
>
> Does anybody know any supplementary manual about copy jobs because I
> think it's not completely explained in Bacula manual
>
> Best Regards

I have a question about this previous mail that I sent.
Is there a risk to copy or migrate a job to a next pool that is from
the copy job's pool and not from the orginal job's pool.

My copy job select job id in database, from many pools.
It's configured with a pool named "_copy" that have a "copy" nextpool.

Most of the copy job selection directive are relative to the job
pool's next pool.
Its really limmitating because each copy job should be executed in the
same pool that the job to copy
Does that kind of configuration is tricky ?

Moreover I select the job with many quite complex requests so it's not
very easy and it took me a long time to make a good selection.
Is there a documentation about the role of the collons in the database ?
and about the database functionnment of pruning and copy features ?

A last question relative to copy jobs : I often makes catalog backup
w/ my LTO tape archive of the month. Is there a mean to read an old
catalog backup or to copy the file list of my archives in a particular
table of my catalog ?
An option like "find filename in the archive catalog could be
interesting". That could go more slowly than to find it in the classic
catalog but with that you will be able to find an old file that's
archived on a WORM tape.

BR

Hugo