Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Max Wait Time not respected, Max Run Time exceedes with 0s run time

2011-06-14 05:26:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Max Wait Time not respected, Max Run Time exceedes with 0s run time
From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer AT omnilan DOT de>
To: jma AT schaubroeck DOT be
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 11:23:36 +0200
schrieb Jeremy Maes am 14.06.2011 10:46 (localtime):
>  Op 14/06/2011 9:52, Harald Schmalzbauer schreef:
>> Hello bacula list,
>>
>> I'm trying to setup a small backup concept with bacula 5.0.3
>> Unfortunately I ran into the same problem about one year ago with 5.0.1
>> I'm using file based SD.
>> I had one job running, accessing SD1 running, so the next scheduled job
>> had to wait. But it didn't wait "Max Wait Time" of 2 hours, instead it
>> started "Max Run Time" after the scheduled start and terminated with 0
>> seconds runtime because "Max Run Time" exceeded.
>>
>> Can somebody help?
> This is because you are probably using the wrong kind of wait times for
> your job, or wrong values for them. A picture from the manual should
> show this clearly:
>

> The Max Run Time will start counting the moment the job tries to get a
> hold of a storage volume. Max Wait Time does NOT get added to this time,

Thanks a lot for your help.
I had looked at the illustration from the manual and together with the
status report, I understand it as the job "start time" is not the
schedule time.
Here's the excerpt of the status report:
Scheduled time:         13-Jun-2011 22:31:01
Start time:             13-Jun-2011 23:01:15

So corresponding to the illustration, this should be the period "Wait
time", limited by "Max Start Delay".
The report states "Elapsed time: 0 secs". The definition of "Run Time"
in the manual makes clear that "Elapsed time" should be the same:

Max Run Time = <time> The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a
job may run, counted
    from when the job starts, (not necessarily the same as when the job
was scheduled).

What I can observe is that the cancellation could only be correct if I
had set "Max Run Sched Time", but that's not set at all.
Max Run Sched Time = <time> The time specifies the maximum allowed time
that a job may run,
    counted from when the job was scheduled. This can be useful to
prevent jobs from running during
    working hours. We can see it like Max Start Delay + Max Run Time.

> so if your Max Run Time is shorter than the Max Wait Time it'll time out
> with the warning you're getting.

This doesn't correspond to the manual nor make sense imho or I don't
understand the concept at all.
My first problem of understanding is why my job gets started at
23:01:14, 30 Minutes after it was scheduled?
If it starts regardless of the SD-state, meaning it had waited for 30
Minutes for the Storage Device, the "start time" was "schedule time",
not 30 Minutes later...
But if I understood right, the job should be delayed "Delay Time" before
it gets started, for the Storage device to become available.
Or are there other reasons why a job could be delayed and a blocked
Storage Device is no reason?

> The solution I use is to not specify most of them, and only use a Max
> Run Sched Time. This will make sure the job finishes (or gets cancelled
> if it's not done) within a set amount of time after I schedule it.
> Though depending on the situation that might not be the best way to go...

In my case unfortunately that's not what I want to limit.
It's only about to limit the time it's one client allowed to transfere data.

Thanks,

-Harry