Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What does verify = i mean?

2011-06-10 02:07:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What does verify = i mean?
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Ansgar Konermann <ansgar.konermann AT googlemail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:03:49 +0200
Hi,

2011/6/10 Ansgar Konermann <ansgar.konermann AT googlemail DOT com>
>>> i compare the inodes

Does the 'i' code for "verify=" mean:
a) a shortcut for "compare all inode data, without respect to their
semantics, just do a byte-by-byte compare" (this is what I would guess
from the description given in the current manual) -- if so, would this
also compare the block numbers inside the inode?
b) compare the inode number -- why would one want this?
c) something completely different (if so, what?)

I really can't make any sense of the 'i' code. Please enlighten me :-)

The correct answer is "b". Any awards in this quiz? :)

You ask, why one want this? - an answer is very simple. Lets imagine you can use Bacula verify feature as a some kind of IDS software. Something like tripwire. Then you probably want to check if someone replaced your very important binaries with new one.

bye

--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net