Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] What does verify = i mean?

2011-06-09 18:33:40
Subject: [Bacula-users] What does verify = i mean?
From: Ansgar Konermann <ansgar.konermann AT googlemail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 00:30:31 +0200
Hi all,

I already did RTFM, but I don't understand the documentation. It says:

> verify=options
>> The options letters specified are used when running a Verify
Level=Catalog as well as the DiskToCatalog level job. The options
letters may be any combination of the following:
>>> i compare the inodes

AFAIK, inodes are internal data structures used by the filesystem,
containing meta data and helping to locate the actual disk blocks which
contain the file data. Most of the different metadata figures which are
typically held in an inode can be referred to directly using dedicated
verify=... letters (e. g. permission bits = p).

Does the 'i' code for "verify=" mean:
a) a shortcut for "compare all inode data, without respect to their
semantics, just do a byte-by-byte compare" (this is what I would guess
from the description given in the current manual) -- if so, would this
also compare the block numbers inside the inode?
b) compare the inode number -- why would one want this?
c) something completely different (if so, what?)

I really can't make any sense of the 'i' code. Please enlighten me :-)

Best regards

Ansgar