Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Director Control Protocol

2011-06-07 19:34:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Director Control Protocol
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:31:17 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Director Control Protocol
To: Tim Gustafson <tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Tim Gustafson <tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu> wrote:
>> Can't you spawn bconsole from the web application? That is what most
>> of the other web apps do.
>
> I thought of that, but the interaction to get a simple bit of data out that
> way seems to be rather difficult to parse.  Consider getting the status of a
> given client:
>
> 1. Connect to the bacula-dir server via SSH
> 2. Run bconsole
> 3. Wait for a prompt
> 4. Enter "status"
> 5. Wait for a prompt
> 6. Enter "3"
> 7. Parse the list of client presented and figure out which option represents
> the client you want
> 8. Enter the number you parsed from step 7
> 9. Parse the output of that command into a program-usable form
>
> I'm hoping that there might be a protocol that cuts out all the screen
> parsing and instead lets me just do something like:
>
> 1. Connect to the bacula-dir daemon
> 2. Authenticate
> 3. Send a command like "show status client blah.foo.bar-fd"

What about
echo "show status client=ClientName" | bconsole

jmd0 ~ # echo "show status client=jmd0" | bconsole
Connecting to Director jmd0:9101
1000 OK: jmd0-dir Version: 5.1.14 (24 February 2011)
Enter a period to cancel a command.
show status client=jmd0
Resource status not found
You have messages.