Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] "special" tapes?

2011-05-12 06:05:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] "special" tapes?
From: Alexander Zvyagin <zvyagin.alexander AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 12:02:32 +0200
Hello,

I just installed bacula for a first time, successfully configured it
and checked that backup-restore to "file storage" works. The next step
is to use the tape service (CASTOR), which is a little bit special in
our organization (CERN). To  write/read to/from a tape I need to use a
command "rfcp" (a replacement of the standard "cp" command on Unix). I
can even create directories on the tape with "rfmkdir" and remove
files/directories with "rfrm". I think I need only need to adopt
"rfcp" command to work with bacula.

This is the scheme I want to implement:
--- BACKUP:
- Start a backup to a local disk: Volume-YYYY-MM-DD
- Once the backup is finished, copy Volume-YYYY-MM-DD to the tape,
remove the Volume from the local disk
so every backup produces a new volume which will be copied to a tape

--- RESTORE:
- Bacula tells which Volumes are needed for restore
- These Volumes are copied from the tape to  the local disk (with "rfcp")
- the files are restored by Bacula

I am still reading the documentation, but if someone could explain me
how to implement my scheme, I would appreciate this a lot. Basically I
am trying to figure out right now, do I need to hack the bacula
scripts (like mtx-changer) or it is just the config files should be
changed.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Alexander Zvyagin.