Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula not setting the RecyclePool properly

2011-05-10 17:50:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula not setting the RecyclePool properly
From: Maxim Khitrov <max AT mxcrypt DOT com>
To: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:47:07 -0400
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Rodrigo Renie Braga
<rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > tapes
>> > daily, like that:
>> >
>> > Pool {
>> >     Name = pool.inc.muitobaixo
>> >     Pool Type = Backup
>> >     Storage = st.tpa
>> >     Volume Use Duration = 1 day
>> >     Volume Retention = 1 day
>> >     Scratch Pool = scratch.tpa
>> >     RecyclePool = scratch.tpa
>> >     File Retention =  6 months
>> >     Job Retention =  6 months
>> >     Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
>> > }
>>
>>  ...snip...
>>
>> > Now Bacula send it back to the scratch.tpa, but only I force it with the
>> > update command before the purge... why? Isn't it setting the RecyclePool
>> > properly from the configuration file? Does it have anything to do with
>> > the 1
>> > day Volume Retention period?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>
>> It's not very clear from the documentation, but you have to set
>> RecyclePool directive only for scratch.tpa pool, not any of the
>> others. You must also assign volumes to scratch.tpa when labeling them
>> in order for them to return to that pool when recycled. Here's my
>> configuration, none of the LTO4_* pools have RecyclePool set:
>>
>> Pool {
>>        Name = Scratch
>>        PoolType = Backup
>>        RecyclePool = Scratch
>> }
>>
>> Pool { Name = LTO4_A; @/opt/bacula/etc/conf.d/dir-LTO4.pool; }
>> Pool { Name = LTO4_B; @/opt/bacula/etc/conf.d/dir-LTO4.pool; }
>> Pool { Name = LTO4_C; @/opt/bacula/etc/conf.d/dir-LTO4.pool; }
>> Pool { Name = LTO4_D; @/opt/bacula/etc/conf.d/dir-LTO4.pool; }
>> Pool { Name = LTO4_E; @/opt/bacula/etc/conf.d/dir-LTO4.pool; }
>> Pool { Name = LTO4_F; @/opt/bacula/etc/conf.d/dir-LTO4.pool; }
>>
>> When labeling a volume, I do something like this:
>>
>> * label pool=Scratch volume=ABC ...
>>
>> After that, volume 'ABC' will be used by whichever LTO4_* pool needs it.
>>
>> - Max
>
> Thanks Maxim for your answer, my Scratch Pool is currently like this:
>
>> Pool {
>>     Name = scratch.tpa
>>     Pool Type = Scratch
>>     Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
>> }
>

> I thought that only on the Pool "pool.inc.muitobaixo" that I needed to add
> the "Recycle Pool" directive, so I'll try your way.
>
> BTW, all tapes on "pool.inc.muitobaixo" were originally on the scratch.tpa
> Pool, when I added the tapes I did exactly your way (I added them on the
> scratch.tpa), but since I didn't have the "Recycle Pool" on the Scratch
> Pool, it makes perfect sense that this parameter is not set on the Volume.
>
> But I thought that when the Volume was taken from the Scratch Pool to the
> "pool.inc.muitobaixo", the "Recycle Pool" would be set on the Volume since I
> have this parameter on the "pool.inc.muitobaixo"... guess I was wrong...

In my testing I found that some volume attributes are updated when the
volume is moved out of Scratch. Certain others, such as RecyclePool,
stay the same. In fact, defining RecyclePool for any non-scratch pools
doesn't seem to do anything at all.

> And this problem gives me another doubt: if I add the "Recycle Pool" on the
> "scratch.tpa" like you said, only running the "update all volumes from all
> pools" command will be enough to update all volume parameters?

Not sure, haven't tested this.

- Max