Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume Use Duration

2011-05-05 03:23:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume Use Duration
From: Dietz Pröpper <dietz AT rotfl.franken DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:18:45 +0200
Hi,

I use several pools for daily, weekly and monthly backups. To be able to
remove the tapes from the monthly backup without bacula trying to use the
left over place on the last tape from one month again the next month I have
defined a suitable Volume Use Duration:

Pool {
  Name = Monthly
[...]
  Volume Use Duration = 48h
[...]
}

That works fine so far, every new month's backup goes on a new set of
tapes, so I can remove the previous ones and offsite them.

But one little glitch - the last tape from one month's run is labeled
"Used" (therefore triggering the use of a new tape) the next time, bacula
wants a tape from that pool (with the monthly backups that means one month
later), so from an unshielded eye it looks like the tape is still in use,
which brings major fear to some of the tape changing zombies at some
client's site. To prevent this, I use a after job script, that adjusts the
VolStatus of the last tape, which counts as a +2 hack of ugliness in my
opinion.

And now the question - is there a way to accomplish the wished behavior
(tape gets set to "used" immediately after the usage duration, not the next
time the pool is touched) by some other means?

kindest regards,
        Dietz