Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] About retention, and pruning.

2011-05-05 00:45:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] About retention, and pruning.
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 00:12:10 -0400
On May 4, 2011, at 3:26 AM, Graham Keeling wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:11:24AM +0200, Hugo Letemplier wrote:
>> 2011/4/29 Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>:
>>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:33:48 +0200, Hugo Letemplier
>>> <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
>>> matching

>>> You would waste your tape/disk space.

>>> That means that your upper backup levels should have greater retentions to
>>> be sure that at any time, you can use the full + diff + inc if needed.
>>> Keeping incremental without full backup can be useful to restore only
>>> specific files.
>> Yes, but this problem is the same between incremental backups:
>> Lots of people recommended me to use one pool per level:
>> It works for Full and differentials, but not for inc pool
>> Maybe one inc-pool per "incremental run of a scheduling cycle" should
>> be good ? But it 's not simple
>> I think that a new feature that add dependency between various job
>> levels for the next versions of bacula could be cool.
>> The idea is to allow pruning only for volume/jobs that aren't needed
>> by other ones whatever are the retention time.
>> As a consequence : you can prune a full only (((if the differential is
>> pruned) if the XXX incrementals are pruned) if the last incremental is
>> pruned )
>> So you you can say that the maximum retention time for a full is at
>> least equal to the retention time of the last inc + the delay between
>> the full and the this last inc so you have something like this :
>> full  : ========================>>>>>>>>
>> inc  :   =========>>>>>
>> inc  :     =========>>>>
>> inc  :       =========>>>
>> inc  :         =========>>
>> inc  :           =========>
>> inc  :             =========
>> diff  :               ================>
>> inc  :                 =========>>>>>
>> inc  :                   =========>>>>
>> inc  :                     =========>>>
>> inc  :                       =========>>
>> inc  :                         =========>
>> inc  :                           =========
>> diff  :                             ================>
>> inc  :                               =========>>>>>
>> inc  :                                 =========>>>>
>> inc  :                                   =========>>>
>> inc  :                                     =========>>
>> inc  :                                       =========>
>> inc  :                                         =========
>>
>> and not like that :
>> diff  : ==================>
>> inc  :   =======>
>> inc  :     =======>
>> inc  :       =======>
>>
>> What do you think about such a feature ?
>
> A while ago, I made a patch that does it. Nobody seemed to want it though.
> http://www.adsm.org/lists/html/Bacula-users/2011-01/msg00308.html

Just because you didn't find anyone that wanted it does not make it a bad idea.

Ideas are sometimes difficult to comprehend.  I didn't follow the above in a 30
second scanning....

If you think it's a good idea. Pursue it.  Give examples.  Describe the issues,
in brief, and then in general.  Build a case that others can comprehend with
minimal effort.

If you think it's a good idea, something will come of it.  But nothing will
come of it if you don't persist.
--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org