Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How to make Bacula send an "operator intervention required" mail if there is no volume in the drive

2011-05-03 11:52:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] How to make Bacula send an "operator intervention required" mail if there is no volume in the drive
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 19:50:05 +0400
I'm using Bacula 5.0.2 (as packaged in Debian Squeeze)
with "Tandberg LTO-4 FH" tape drive (that's IBM ULTRIUM-TD4 platform).
This is a single-tape drive without changer capabilities.

The problem I'm experiencing with my setup is this: when a job starts
requiring particular volume and there's no tape cartridge in the drive,
Bacula just waits on the storage without sending any "intervention
required" mail to operators.  The "status director" command run in the
console would show the "waiting on the storage tape" status for the
stalled job.  On the other hand, if there's a mounted tape cartridge in
the drive, Bacula properly generates the expected e-mail message about
what volume is required to be mounted instead of current.

Hence the question: how do I make Bacula send an "intervention required"
message if there's no cartridge in the drive?

Here are relevant bits of the bacula-sd configuration:

Device {
  Name = tape
  Media Type = LTO-4
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  Maximum File Size = 5GB
  AutoChanger = no
}

Messages {
  Name = Standard
  director = aquinas-dir = all
}

The relevant bit of the Director's config (regarding the "Standard"
profile for messages; subjects in commands are elided for brevity):

Messages {
  Name = Standard
  mailcommand = "/usr/lib/bacula/bsmtp -f bacula -s '...'"
  operatorcommand = "/usr/lib/bacula/bsmtp -f bacula -s '...'"
  mail = [email protected] = all, !skipped
  operator = [email protected] = mount
  console = all, !skipped, !
  saved append = "/var/lib/bacula/log" = all, !skipped
  catalog = all
}