Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] About retention, and pruning.

2011-04-29 03:25:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] About retention, and pruning.
From: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
To: Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:21:22 +0200
On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:33:48 +0200, Hugo Letemplier
<hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> After the job ran many times: I have the following volume <=> job
matching
> Vol name   Level      Time
> Test1         Full        15:50
> 324            Inc         16:00
> 325            Inc         16:10
> 326            Inc         16:20
> 324            Inc         16:30
> Test2         Full        16:40
> 325            Inc         16:50
> 326            Inc         17:00
>
> This is problematic because Vol324 is recycled instead of creating a new
> one
> I am not sure to understand the various retention periods : File, job,
> volume
> I think that I can increase the retention times but the problem will
> always be the same.
> ex : if I keep my incremental one hour then my first ones will always
> be purged first
> In a good strategy you purge the full sequence of incremental at the
> same time because you need to recycle you volume and don't want to
> keep a recent volume (incremental) without the previous ones.

You would waste your tape/disk space.

> To do that I imagine that I need to create one pool per day and reduce
> progressively the retention periods. It doesn't makes sense !
>  I turned the problem on all its sides but I cant find a good
> solution. Maybe the other retention period are the solution but I
> didn't succeeded ?
> Thanks in advance

That means that your upper backup levels should have greater retentions to
be sure that at any time, you can use the full + diff + inc if needed.
Keeping incremental without full backup can be useful to restore only
specific files.

HTH.
Jérôme Blion.