Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] A few of questions

2011-04-15 07:28:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] A few of questions
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:25:29 +0100

>   When backing up to a disk/RAID system, how do you guys mirror your
> raid array?  If you were to mirror in real-time and something got
> corrupted it could cause problems on your mirror.  Do you mirror once a
> day?  What software do you use to mirror your array?  is rsync good enough?

What do you mean by corrupted and cause problems?  A disk error or something
in software?

RAID arrays are designed to cope gracefully with disk errors.  File systems
using checksums with built-in RAID capabilities such as zfs can make that
process more robust.

If you are worried about software bugs (in the filesystem implementation or
Bacula), then I think you need to make separate backups and test them
regularly, because any kind of automatic synchronization of the mirror will
just silently propagate the corruption to all copies.

__Martin