Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] force backup of unchanged file in incremental backup

2011-04-14 09:23:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] force backup of unchanged file in incremental backup
From: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
To: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:21:15 +0200
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:37:35 +0000 (UTC), Thomas Mueller
<thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch> wrote:
> Am Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:33:14 +1000 schrieb James Harper:
>
>> The "last modified" datestamp on MSSQL database files doesn't get
>> changed unless the actual file dimensions change (eg it 'grows') or
when
>> the file is closed. This means that an incremental backup won't
>> necessarily back up the database files unless they have changed.
>> Accurate won't catch this either as the metadata it uses will be
>> identical.
>>
>> Is there a way to force the backup of specific unchanged files during
an
>> incremental or differential backup? Eg:
>>
>> Option {
>>   File = "C:/database/mydb.mdf"
>>   Always Back Up = Yes
>> }
>>

> you could create a backup job with just that file in it and run it
always
> as full.
>
> - Thomas

I think his goal is to recreate some differential backups for MSSQL (RMAN
provides it for Oracle).
To do that, he needs to know which datafiles moved... If you perform a
touch on each of them, it's not a differential backup but a full one.

Are we sure that all data pieces have been flushed to disk before the VSS
snapshot occurred ?

HTH.
Jerome Blion.