Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Pool per client

2011-04-13 16:24:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Pool per client
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: Pablo Marques <pmarques AT miamilinux DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:21:23 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Pablo Marques wrote:

> I guess I could modify bacula-sd an add/remove a file device per client
> as needed. I am not sure if I can "reload" bacula-sd.conf without
> interrupting running backups.

My understanding is that you need a restart, which is likely to kill any
running backups.

> When I add a client I have a "template" client definition with all per client
> definitions that I need:
> I replace $CLIENT_NAME $IP_ADDRESS $PORT and generate a new file and then I
> do a "reload" on bconsole, and the client is ready to go.
> The clients, in my application, decide the backup schedule, and they run it
> from their bconsole client.
> Each client can only run or restore its own backups.

I do something similar actually, but it's not quite as big or dynamic so I
manually modify the bacula-sd and don't generally have to worry about
backups that are running at the time I restart the bacula-sd.

This might seem (or be) crazy, but in principal you could run a bacula-sd
for each client with its own bacula-sd instance running on a particular
ip:port.  That would avoid the issue of restarting bacula-sd.

Of course it might be possible to signal bacula-sd to re-read its config,
which would be much simpler :-)

Gavin

--
Gavin McCullagh
Senior System Administrator

This E-mail is from Griffith College.
The E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be
privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed. If you are not the addressee you are prohibited
from disclosing its content, copying it or distributing it otherwise than to
the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your
computer.

Bellerophon Ltd, trades as Griffith College (registered in Ireland No.
60469) with its registered address as Griffith College Campus, South
Circular Road, Dublin 8, Ireland.