Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Performance with latent networks

2011-04-11 22:06:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Performance with latent networks
From: "Peter Hoskin" <peterh AT 10mbit DOT biz>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:03:02 +1000

Hi,

> The issue, I imagine with transfer rates is between the bacula-fd and

> bacula-sd.

Correct

> Do we presume the -sd is in Sydney?  You don't say what speed

> the Sydney ADSL2+ link is (though apparently it can manage at least

> 2.2MByte/sec).

24mbit down, 1mbit up

> Is that 300ms over the VPN?  If you run a long ping, is there any

> noticeable packet loss?

With ping –s 65500 –c 1000 I got:

1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 999884ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 421.944/1202.740/4353.202/578.943 ms, pipe 5

So there seems to be no real packet loss even with larger packets.

> Maybe the bacula-fd host is busy or

> the bacula-fd itself is doing encryption or compression which is slowing

> down its send rate?  Are these incremental backups or full?  Are you using

> "accurate" backups (which need data to be sent to the fd from the dir)?

> Have you checked the disk and cpu load on the bacula fd and sd during these

> backups?

I’ve checked both hosts. There is plenty of memory, CPU & bandwidth sitting idle at both ends. The loadavg is below 0.5.

The hosts in Montreal actually have more spare resources than the Canberra host which transfers oh so much better.

I’m not using accurate backups. But I do have GZIP turned on.