Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Performance with latent networks

2011-04-11 00:35:33
Subject: [Bacula-users] Performance with latent networks
From: "Peter Hoskin" <peterh AT 10mbit DOT biz>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:31:58 +1000

Hi,

I’m using bacula to do backups of some remote servers, over the Internet encapsulated in OpenVPN (just to make sure things are encrypted and kept off public address space).

The bacula-fd is in Montreal Canada with 100mbit Ethernet. I also have another bacula-fd in Canberra Australia on 100mbit Ethernet. The bacula-director is in Sydney Australia with ADSL2+ at full line sync. The latency to Montreal is about 300ms while the latency to Canberra is about 30ms.

The problem I’m encountering… backups from the Montreal box will peak at a transfer rate of 100kb/sec despite my ability to do 2.2mb/sec via http, ftp, ssh, rsync, etc. from the same host.

The backups from Canberra come down at 1.2-2mb/sec.

A backup of 6GB of data will take about 12 hours from Montreal, but will be less than an hour from Canberra.

So it appears the problem is network latency. Is there anything I can try to improve backup speeds from Montreal?

Regards,

Peter Hoskin