Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula offsite backups (once again)

2011-04-11 14:14:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula offsite backups (once again)
From: Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bart Swedrowski <bart AT timedout DOT org>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:11:25 -0300
For the last few days, I've been struggling with the same problem, and I don't if my experience can help you or not, but here goes:

First of all, I have a special Admin Job that runs every day at 12:00pm, which basically sends my Catalog Backup (postgres), the bacula-dir and bacula-sd config and system files to an external storage (currently Dropbox, but soon Amazon). So if my bacula-dir or bacula-sd crashes, I can manually restore them manually from this backup.

My normal daily backups works like this: once a month I run a Full Backup of all my servers (almost 50), every Sunday I run a Diff Backup and all the other days I run a Inc Backup. All of theses backups goes to a single Tape Library configured in my bacula-sd.

My problem was that I needed to take my backup tapes to a external site, but at the same time I needed all my backups locally available for any restore needed.

The solution to my problem was: I make a Copy Job that, weekly, makes a copy of the last Full Backup or of the last Diff Backup of my clients to a second Tape Library also configured on the same bacula-sd, and I take the tapes used on those Copy Jobs to an external site. And weekly I bring those tapes back and make them available to future Copy Jobs (their retention time are 8 days).

That way, in case a meteor falls down on my company, I'll need to manually revive the bacula-sd and bacula-dir from the Dropbox backup, and then use the Copy Jobs tapes to restore the files from last week.

Sorry if I didn't made my self very clear, but you can always contact me personally for further explanations.