Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 124t users?

2011-02-28 17:53:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 124t users?
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:50:34 +0000
On 28/02/11, John Drescher (drescherjm AT gmail DOT com) wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Jeremiah D. Jester
> > <jjest AT u.washington DOT edu> wrote:
> >> Here's my output..
> >>
> >> #test write.
> >> [root@scrappy bacula]# mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> >> [root@scrappy bacula]# mt -f /dev/nst0 weof
> >> [root@scrappy bacula]# dd if=/dev/nst0 of=/dev/null bs=64512
> >> dd: reading `/dev/nst0': Input/output error
> >> 0+0 records in
> >> 0+0 records out
> >> 0 bytes (0 B) copied, 5.39927 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
> >>
> >> #/var/log/messages
> >> Feb 28 14:17:46 scrappy kernel: st0: Failed to read 65532 byte block with
> >> 64512 byte transfer.
> >>
> > You will have to increase the block size since your tape was written
> > with a larger block size.
> >
> Also this is the expected output since you did not write anything to
> the tape after the weof. This was actually trying to read the tape not
> write.

John -- I'd be grateful for your comments on how best to do a dd based
read and write test for LTO3 and LTO4 tapes. This seems like a fairly
good way of narrowing down a drive or interconnect problem.

Is something like the following correct?

    mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
    dd if=/dev/sd<x> of=/dev/nst0 bs=64512 count=10000 # about 300GB
    mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
    dd if=/dev/nst0 of=/dev/null bs=64512

Many thanks
Rory