Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Concurrent Client Backups and Restores

2011-02-23 04:51:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Client Backups and Restores
From: Raimund Sacherer <raimund.sacherer AT logitravel DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:29:34 +0100 (CET)
Hello,

I have a question regarding restores of files. I have currently 6 concurrent jobs configured to backup to disk. After all my these backups are finished, I use a Copy job to copy these Backups on Disk to Tape.

This works very well so far, the only problem I have are with restore jobs.

1. it's completely irrelevant which priority I set for the restore job, it always says: Waiting for higher priority jobs to finish.
2. I can do concurrent backups, why can't I do a restore as well while a backup is running (whilest backup up a different volume, of course)?
3. Even when the copy job transfers copys from disk to tap (again, when, currently using a different volume) I can not restore from a disk volume.

I hope something is wrong in my configuration, because we have lot's of developers and at least once or twice a week we have to restore something for them. (Please don't tell me about version control systems, etc., there are policys in place and they are using windows tools and I am not in any position to change any of that).

I do not see the point why I should be able to do concurrent backups, but not a restore while the backups are running as well, as long as I am using a different volume and device.

My configuration:

Each client has it's own device in the Storage daemon.
Each client has it's own directory on disc where the Incrementals and Fullbackups are saved
We have one SCSI Tape device which is responsible for copying the backup jobs to tape

Is there any other way to create restores? Like, starting another file-daemon on another ip/port on the same machine?

best regards
Ray